Plan Information Enroll Now
New Members have 60 days from joining the union to apply for coverage
- Benefit in $100 increments, ranging from $300 to $5,000 per month (not to exceed 60% of earnings) if approved by simplified underwriting
- Benefit pays in addition to all other benefits
- Benefit Duration: 2 or 5 years
- Elimination Period: 180 Days
- Simple and convenient payroll deduction
Select your resident state and industry to see your rates
About Open Enrollment (BUS & RAIL)
New members have the option to supplement their income with the SMART TD Voluntary Disability Plan. Members have 60 days from when they join the union to apply for coverage. The date your coverage becomes effective…the sooner you enroll the sooner you can be covered. To enroll, call 224-770-5328.
IMPORTANT: The Voluntary Disability Plan (VDP) requires medical underwriting. Benefit applications will be accepted or rejected based on the answers to the medical questions on the application.
Coverage Underwritten by Amalgamated Life Insurance Company
Why Choose Amalgamated?
Notice to All Participants (BUS & RAIL) – Please Read
To be eligible to enroll in the Voluntary Disability Plan (VDP) you must be an actively working, full dues paying member of SMART TD working a minimum of 20 hours per week and reside in the United States. Members have 60 days from joining the union to apply for coverage.
Monthly premiums are based on your age at the time your application is submitted and do not increase over time. If you choose to add coverage in the future, your premiums for the additional amount of coverage will be based on your age at that time.
Coverage remains in force up to age 72, as long as premiums are paid. Premiums do not increase as the insured gets older. This is an Individual Policy which the insured can keep even if he or she changes jobs or retires.
SMART TD does not make any endorsement or recommendations regarding these benefits. It is the member’s responsibility to learn about and fully understand the benefits being offered. This program is completely voluntary, and it is solely the member’s decision to enroll. This page provides information, which can be viewed or downloaded, related to your Voluntary Disability Plan (VDP). If you have any questions regarding the plan, please call 224-770-5328.
Policy Provisions (BUS & RAIL)
- 24 Hour Coverage – this benefit covers you on and off the job
- Active SMART TD members working a minimum of 20 hours per week are eligible
- Pre-existing conditions are covered after satisfying policy limitations
- Mental Illnesses are covered, duration determined by specific policy limitations
- Alcohol and Drug abuse are covered, duration determined by specific policy limitations
- The remainder of total disability benefit will be paid in a lump sum up to 12 months upon the diagnosis of a terminal illness
- Coverage remains in force up to age 72 as long as premiums are paid. Premiums do not increase as the insured gets older.
- This individual policy is the insured’s to keep even if they change jobs or retire.
Please Note: These provisions may vary by state