– All members regardless of medical condition are Guaranteed approved for a $1,000 monthly benefit
– Benefit Pays in addition to all other benefits (Smart VSTD, RRB, FELA, Workers Comp payments, etc.)
– Members may elect benefits up to $5,000 a month (not to exceed 60% of monthly earnings)*
– 24 hour coverage-covers you on and off the job
– 180 day elimination period
– Pre-existing conditions are covered after 12 months on the plan
– Members can select a 2 or 5 year benefit duration
ABOUT THIS PLAN
IMPORTANT: The Voluntary Disability Plan (VDP) requires medical underwriting. Benefit applications will be accepted or rejected based on the answers to the medical questions on the application.
Coverage Underwritten by Amalgamated Life Insurance Company
Why Choose Amalgamated?
Notice to All Participants (BUS & RAIL) – Please Read
Guaranteed Approved Coverage
SMART TD leadership has negotiated with Amalgamated Life Insurance Company to provide all actively working members up to $1,000 of guaranteed approved coverage with a 2 year benefit duration. Benefit amounts higher than $1,000 or with a higher benefit duration will require simplified underwriting.
Monthly premiums are based on your age at the time your application is submitted and do not increase over time (except if mandated by the state). If you choose to add coverage in the future, your premiums for the additional amount of coverage will be based on your age at that time.
Coverage remains in force up to age 72, as long as premiums are paid. Premiums do not increase as the insured gets older. This is an Individual Policy which the insured can keep even if he or she changes jobs or retires.
SMART TD does not make any endorsement or recommendations regarding these benefits. It is the member’s responsibility to learn about and fully understand the benefits being offered. This program is completely voluntary, and it is solely the member’s decision to enroll. This page provides information, which can be viewed or downloaded, related to your Voluntary Disability Plan (VDP). If you have any questions regarding the plan, please call 224-770-5328.
Policy Provisions (BUS & RAIL)
- Active SMART TD members working a minimum of 20 hours per week are eligible
- Pre-existing conditions are covered after satisfying policy limitations
- Mental Illnesses are covered, duration determined by specific policy limitations
- Alcohol and Drug abuse are covered, duration determined by specific policy limitations
- The remainder of total disability benefit will be paid in a lump sum up to 12 months upon the diagnosis of a terminal illness
- Coverage remains in force up to age 72 as long as premiums are paid. Premiums do not increase as the insured gets older.
Please note: These provisions may vary by state.